10 August 2005

How to make the terrorists quake in their boots

“I believe in London. I know there has been a tremendous cost for supporting my country’s war on terror, which is now truly a world war on terror, and I appreciate it. Regardless of what you feel about it, it’s going on and I really appreciate the support. In my own tiny way I’m paying that back.”

- Rob Lowe on his West End appearance in A Few Good Men.



“How can music respond to something as devastating as the London bombings? It is a question that has been weighing on my mind. Somehow, without quite intending it, I have stumbled towards a response of my own… I bashed it out in rough form on an acoustic guitar to my friend Bono one night and he became very animated. ‘This is a song that needs be heard now,’ he insisted.”

Daily Telegraph rock critic Neil McCormick on how he came to write and record the song “People I Don’t Know Are Trying to Kill Me”.


“What a month it’s been! On 2 July we enjoyed Live 8 in Hyde Park… Then on the 6th the International Olympic Committee announced that London would host the 2012 Olympic games… Tragedy struck on the 7th with the horrific bombing of innocent people in London… And then on the 8th, incredibly the G8 world leaders actually agreed to do something about the debt in Africa with a $50 billion aid package. And we’re not even halfway through the month yet! Why not try for some of our great prizes this month, you could be remembering July 2005 as the time you won a MyOffers prize.”

Email circular from Tiscali.

[How wonderfully crass!]

No comments: